If 2020 Had A Soundtrack (Pt. 1)
We're over halfway through the year and so far 2020 has pretty much sucked.
We ran out of toilet paper, hand sanitizers and wipes. College students got shafted. Bars, live music venues and other entertainment establishments had to close and those that have reopened aren't really much fun to go to. You have to wear a mask, can't really move around freely and now some have started this "you have to order food to order a drink" crap. Let's not forget murder hornets, riots, wildfires, natural disasters, diseased insects, earthquakes, and zombie crickets. Now we're running out of Dr. Pepper ... it's just been weird.
It's not all bad mind you. We have all learned to appreciate things a little more and our hygiene and social distancing skills have improved. We've learned to think ahead and have new skills in working, studying, and even partying online.
2020 deserve its own soundtrack and, so far, here are 10 songs I'd put on it:
- Fell On Black Days - Soundgarden. It's almost like they saw 2020 coming.
- Beer - Psychostick. I don't want the entire soundtrack to be a bummer and, Lord knows we can't get enough alcohol these days.
- Paranoid - Black Sabbath. Stay home, wear a mask, don't go out. It's airborne, it's not airborne, it's deadly, it's not deadly. The stories keep changing and we are all paranoid.
- Hero - Weezer. They didn't necessarily set out to honor those on the medical front lines with this song but, they did use the video toward that end.
- I Hate Everything About You - Ugly Kid Joe. Not looking at a "person" here as the song does. Just you 2020 .. just you.
- Crazy Train - Ozzy. The year has absolutely been that ... crazy.
- Nothing Else Matters - Metallica. He's realized what's important and wants to be better moving forward. This one's for all and the lessons (some) learned in 2020.
- American Idiot - Green Day. This one makes the cut in honor ... or dishonor ... of just about every politician currently in office. They could have all quite easily put away their bullshit early on and worked together to truly "lead".
- Gone Away - Offspring. On top of everything else going on, we had to reopen El Paso's deepest wound. This one isn't directed at 2020, it just honors those we lost on August 3rd, 2019.
- Back In The Saddle - Aerosmith. This one is last because it should be the last song we play at 11:59 pm, December 31st. When this mess is over with and we're all moving into a brighter 2021.