This Could Be Cohen Stadium’s Future…
The future of Cohen Stadium may not include sports, water parks or amphitheaters as many speculated/wished for. It may instead be retail space, apartments and more.
Plans include demolishing the stadium, which opened in 1990 and was the home of the El Paso Diablos. The city would partner with the private sector to redevelop the 25-acre site with hotels, retail, grocery store, student housing, apartments and offices.The plans would also include a large green space for outdoor concerts and events, an overhead zip line, aquatics facility and athletic center.
Some at Monday's meeting expressed skepticism while others were upset that Cohen was to be used for residential and retail purposes rather than entertainment or recreational uses. This plan would, according to the article, be done in 5 phases:
- The first phase includes the construction of a hotel and retail area next to a fairgrounds area at the corner of Gateway North and Cohen Avenue. It also includes the construction of a regional aquatic facility and athletic facility.
- The second phase includes retail and office spaces, a parking garage and a Sun Metro transit terminal near the intersection of Cohen and Kenworthy.
- The third phase includes building student housing and apartments next to the EPCC campus.
- The fourth phase includes building more student housing, commercial development and apartments.
- The last phase would include the construction of a residential area on Kenworthy Street, near the EPCC campus. - EP Inc
What do you think??