(Some Of) Dubba G’s Favorite Rock And Music Themed Movies
A new "rock movie" is coming out soon that has a great soundtrack and stars real musicians. As a warmup, here are some other music-themed movies.
Not full-on musicals like Rocky Horror Picture Show or Rock Of Ages but, movies centered on music and/or relying on the music as much as the stories themselves. Here are some good ones for you to watch ... (no concert films, sorry...) ... or re-watch.
Not a "top 10" or "best of" list, mind you ... just a few really good ones:
- Crossroads - A terrible movie based on a well-worn storyline but, the blues soundtrack and Steve Vai's solos make it worth sitting through.
- Heavy Metal - Yes, it's a cartoon but the story is entertaining and the soundtrack is great
- The Wall - Basically Pink Floyd bassist Roger Waters' autobiography, on film.
- Backbeat - The story of The Beatles, before they were The Beatles, with an excellent soundtrack recorded by some well known grunge musicians.)
- Another State Of Mind - The birth of Social Distortion filmed, literally, AS it happened.
- The Blues Brothers - Some of the best R 'n B, Blues and Motown stuff ever, (w/a smattering of country), set to what's basically a big budget demolition derby.
- This is Spinal Tap - A harbinger of ALL rockumentaries to come, the movie features actors who are really musicians, pretending to be "has been" musicians. (The stars of the movie wrote all the music and about half the movie as well.)
- Rock Star - Supposedly based on the story of how "Ripper" Owens wound up fronting Judas Priest, the movie blows. As with Crossroads though, the soundtrack rocks.
- The Story Of Anvil - Biopic about, arguably, the unluckiest heavy metal band of all time. (Could almost be a Spinal Tap sequel...)
- Through The Never - Yes, it's a concert film but, not really. It's much more...
- Basketball Diaries - Jim Carroll was on his way to sports greatness, then drugs nearly destroyed him. He survived to become a successful writer and musician and his own music mixes well with other genres on this soundtrack.
There are many others, this is just kind of a "starter kit", enjoy!