Great El Paso Motorcycle Rides And Cool Places – Old Mesilla
Another former stagecoach stop, it's seen its share of old west "stars" like Kit Carson, Wyatt Earp, Billy The Kid and more. (Billy was sentenced to hang in what's now a gift shop but he escaped before they could do it.) It's tough to decide what's more fun on this one ... the ride or the destination itself.
Highway 28, winds ...at times ... through farmland, horse ranches, a huge pecan orchard, (where the trees form a "tunnel" you roll through), and alongside the river. You'll also travel past some other tiny towns and buildings dating back to the 1800's. (Tip from me ... Grab a beer or a bite at Chope's along the way!)
- From the Westside/Upper Valley:
- Follow Country Club Road to Highway 28. Head north.
- From far Northeast/Chaparral:
- Take Highway 404, (The Gap), west until it ends at 28. Turn right.
- From Northeast/Central:
- Take Trans Mountain west to its end in Canutillo at Doniphan. Right on Doniphan to La Union Avenue. Follow La Union ...at the fork, bear right onto 28.
- From the Eastside.
- Take Loop 375, (Trans Mountain), over the mountain, then follow the directions above.
For a map showing all these routes, click here.
- From Las Cruces:
- You're already there! Follow Avenida De Mesilla a little past Barnett Harley Davidson.