Are You a Good Spouse Based on 1939 Standards?
1939 was an interesting year. Here are some stats from 1939:
Average Cost of new house $3,800.00
Average wages per year $1,730.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas 10 cents
Average Cost for house rent $28.00 per month
Marriages were obviously different 80 years ago as well. This could not be more clear when you look at a quiz that was created by George W. Crane Ph.D, M.D. There is a quiz for the husband and the wife. CLICK HERE for the husband's. CLICK HERE for the wife's.
It's pretty cut and dry. There are merits and demerits that are taken into account, with each category is worth one point unless otherwise noted. Make sure to keep track of your score as we'll be adding up and having a final interpretation later.
Here is the husband's chart.
- Stares at or flirts with other women while out with wife. (5 points)
- Reads newspaper at the table.
- Fails to come to table promptly when meal is ready.
- Brings guests home for meals without warning wife.
- Doesn't phone when late for dinner.
- Compares wife unfavorably with his mother and other wives. (5 points)
- Publicly praises bachelor days and regrets having married.
- Criticizes wife in public. (5 points)
- Belches without apology, or blows nose at table.
- Leaves dresser drawers open.
- Leaves shoes in living room.
- Gives wife ample allowance or turns pay check over to her. (5 points)
- Courteous to wife's friends.
- Frequently compliments wife looks, cooking, housekeeping, etc. (5 points)
- Remembers birthdays, anniversaries, etc. (5 points)
- Helps wife with dishes, caring for children, scrubbing.
- Polite and mannerly even when alone with his wife.
- Consults wife's opinion on business and social affairs.
- Has date with wife at least once per week. (5 points)
- Reads newspaper, books or magazines aloud to wife.
- A good conversationalist.
- Steady worker and good provider. (5 points)
- Leaves car for wife on days she may need it.
Now, let's move on to the wife's chart.
- Slow in coming to bed - delays til husband is almost asleep.
- Doesn't like children. (5 points)
- Fails to sew on buttons or darn socks regularly.
- Wears soiled or ragged dresses and aprons around the house.
- Wears red nail polish.
- Often late for appointments. (5 points)
- Seems in hose often crooked.
- Goes to bed with curlers on her hair or much face cream.
- Puts her cold feet on husband at night to warm them.
- Is a back seat driver.
- Flirts with other men at parties or in restaurants. (5 points)
- Is suspicious and jealous. (5 points)
- A good hostess - even to unexpected guests.
- Has meals on time.
- Can carry on an interesting conversation
- Can play a musical instrument, as piano, violin, etc.
- Dressed for breakfast.
- Neat housekeeper - tidy and clean.
- Personally puts children to bed.
- Never goes to bed angry, always makes up first. (5 points)
- Asks husband's opinions regarding important decisions and purchases.
- Good sense of humor - jolly and gay.
- Religious - sends children to church or Sunday school and goes herself. (10 points)
- Lets husband sleep late on Sunday and holidays.
Now, it's time to figure out your score. Add up the merits and subtract the demerits. Here is the grading scale.
- 0 to 24 - Very Poor (Failures)
- 25 tp 41 - Poor
- 42 to 58 - Average
- 59 to 75 - Superior
- 76 and up - Very Superior