Traveled or Gathered For New Year’s? Here’s When and Where to Get Tested
It doesn't appear Coronavirus is going away anytime soon, and with the emergence of the more transmissible omicron variant its important to stay vigilant.
If you traveled, partied and/or were part of a family get-together over the holidays it's a good idea to get tested even if you are vaccinated and boosted.
Health officials are anticipating a post-holiday spike and the only way to really get a handle on a possible surge is through testing.
Who Should Get Tested and When
Here is what the Centers for Disease Control says about who should get a COVID-19 test and when:
• Those who have symptoms of COVID-19
• Those who have come into close contact with someone with COVID-19 should be tested to check for infection. Fully vaccinated people should be tested 5–7 days after their last exposure.
• People who are not fully vaccinated should get tested immediately when they find out they are a close contact. If their test result is negative, they should get tested again 5–7 days after their last exposure or immediately if symptoms develop.
Where to Get a Free Test in El Paso
City of El Paso Covid Clinics
There are 3 City of El Paso COVID-19 Clinics. All are open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Testing is free and available for anyone 6 months or older with or without symptoms, however appointments are required and can be scheduled online via this link.
• 7380 Remcon
• 9566 Railroad
• 110 Candelaria St. (Ysleta Clinic)
Mega Testing Sites
Testing at the mega sites are also free but do not require appointments. Mega site testing is available for anyone 5 years or older with or without symptoms 7 days a week Monday through Sunday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at:
• UTEP, 3333 N. Mesa (Kern Drive) - Drive-Thru & and Walk-Up Testing
• County Sports Park, 1780 N. Zaragoza - Drive-Thru Testing
• Nations Tobin Park, 8831 Railroad Dr. - Drive-Thru Testing
• The Don Haskins Rec. Center, 7400 High Ridge, is also drive-thru but only open Monday through Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.