Texas Hits Top 5 in Least Expensive Places To Raise A Child
The ongoing expenses of raising kids can be a real challenge to wrap your head around. I mean, it's not easy to figure out how much it actually costs, right? Well, on average, it's around 20 grand a year to raise a child in the good ol' U.S. of A. Knowing what you're in for financially can help you plan better for your family's future.
The most expensive city in Texas is typically considered to be Austin. Austin has experienced significant growth and a surge in housing prices in recent years, making it most likely the priciest town in Texas to raise a child. However, that research is based on mine and mine alone.
The folks at SmartAsset, who do some actual research, took it upon themselves to crunch some numbers. They wanted to find out how much it costs to raise a kid in 381 different areas across the country. They took into account all the extra expenses like food, housing, childcare, healthcare, transportation, and all those other things that you need to think about when you add a kid to a two-adult household.
Good news for Texans... no Texas city made it in the top 10 of the most expensive cities to raise a child. But most affordable? You betcha!
First - check out the top 10 of the most expensive cities to raise a child, and try not to get knocked up there! Unless you're rich.
10. Santa Rosa-Petaluma, CA
9. Napa, CA
8. Kalamazoo-Portage, MI
7. Trenton-Princeton, NJ
6. Ann Arbor, MI
5. Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH
4. Barnstable, MA
3. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA
2. Santa Cruz-Watsonville, CA
1. San Francisco-Oakland-Berkeley, CA
In San Francisco, Santa Cruz, and San Jose, all in California - it costs more than $33,000 annually to raise a child. Yikes.
Now for the most affordable places to raise a child. The absolute most affordable place to raise a child is Morristown, Tennessee - but South Carolina is the state with the most abundance of affordable cities. Five of the 10 metro areas where costs are lowest are located in the Palmetto State: Sumter, Columbia, Florence, Hilton Health Island-Bluffton, and Spartanburg.
Texas only fills one slot, but it's an important one. Coming in at the top 5 is Longview, Texas where it only costs about $15,345 annually to raise a child. Kids aren't cheap! Check out the top 10 below.
10. Spartanburg, SC
9. Hilton Head Island-Bluffton, SC
8. Dothan, AL
7. Florence, SC
6. Columbia, SC
5. Longview, TX
4. Gadsden, AL
3. Jackson, TN
2. Sumter, SC
1. Morristown, TN
Check out some other affordable cities to raise kids in over in the Lone Star State.
- Laredo: Laredo is often cited as one of the most affordable cities in Texas. It has a lower cost of living compared to many other cities in the state, which can make it more budget-friendly for families.
- El Paso: El Paso is another city known for its lower cost of living. It offers affordable housing options and generally has lower expenses compared to larger metropolitan areas in Texas. It's also the most *gorgeous* - go ahead and check out the article I wrote on 9 thoughts everyone has after moving to El Paso if you'd like.
- Corpus Christi: Corpus Christi is a coastal city that tends to have a lower cost of living, making it more affordable for families. Housing prices are generally more reasonable compared to cities like Austin or Houston.
- Brownsville: Brownsville, located near the border with Mexico, is often considered one of the most affordable cities in Texas. It offers a lower cost of living, which can be beneficial for families looking to minimize expenses.