Reddit Giving Their Honest Feelings On Downtown El Paso Mural
I love art. I know how invigorating it can be creating something that you're proud of. I also know how tough it can be creating art on a mural such like the side of a building. That's a lot of effort getting the materials, the time to paint and if it's like creating a mural like on the front of Mercado Paisano in downtown El Paso...
Getting up on the roof & painting all of that must've been TOUGH.
Now I for one appreciate the effort of creating a colorful mural to draw people's attention. But... when you look at it a little closely...
And looking at the kids staring at you...
I can totally understand why people might want to talk about it..
In fact Reddit has recently gone wild about this children's mural & boy they were quite vocal about it...
- "they’re creepy and high. Don’t shame them, let them be who they are!" -Zumaakk
- "The hideous haircuts don’t help either" - Narrow-Imagination96
- "Kid in the middle goin' hard with that cuhhh fade" - ImNotOnlyHuman
But there were some users defending the art style:
- "It’s from the tejano revitalization era. That era also brought the little “homies cholo” figures... It’s a snapshot in time really" - americanista915
- "Looks pretty cool to me" - joshuamiasma
So who created the mural? One user on Reddit,"Jaded-Plastic-1830" said the artist was Francisco Romero, who was born in Juarez. One look at his artwork & it looks exactly like that vibrant mural you can see on Mercado.
Personally I like the mural; I think it's quite the labor of love & hard work from a talented local artist. I look forward to seeing more of these murals around town.