Borderland Residents Urged to Dry Up Water From Recent Rains
One way to fight the 'skeeters is to remove all standing water left by our recent storms. Water becomes a perfect mosquito breeding ground so the Las Cruces Sun News recommends:
- Drying up all water puddled/trapped under tarps, in tires, buckets, planters, wading pools and any other containers you may have around.
- Bird baths and other permanent water containers should be cleaned, emptied and refilled a couple of times a week.
- Large amounts of water that can't be drained should be treated with “Pre-strike” mosquito granules, “Mosquito Bits” and “Mosquito Dunks”.Read and follow directions carefully!
- Repair or replace window screens and screen doors.
- Mow lawns regularly and pull weeds.
- For indoor treatment ideas, click here.
Mosquitos are most active at dusk and dawn but, anytime you're out, dress accordingly. Light and loose fitting clothing with long pants and long sleeve shirts helps minimize bites. More rain is expected over the next few days.