Making a Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake- Does It Taste Gross or Good?
My mother told me stories about eating chocolate mayonnaise casks my great grandmother made as a child and many people found the idea gross. So I made one. Unlike many people that I know, I'm a fan of mayonnaise. I find the creamy condiment to be a necessity on sandwiches and sometimes even my hotdog (go to Caliche's and get a pink dog. I'm a fan.). But so many people turn their noses up to mayo and find it repulsive. But then turn around and pour tons of ranch on their salads, or dip their hot wings in it. Google how ranch is made and see what's the main ingredient in this dressing. But one place I didn't think mayonnaise would work was inside any type of desserts. I recently saw a recipe for a chocolate mayonnaise cake and my first thought was confusion. I showed the recipe to my mother and expressed my feelings about how strange a cake with mayonnaise must be. What was shocking to me was her response that when I was little I used to love eating the chocolate mayonnaise cake my great-grandmother used to make. With this new knowledge, I decided to test my taste buds to see if they still like the strange cake.
Turns out, they do and many people have heard of and use mayonnaise in their chocolate cakes to make them moist. Still, many people are already cringing at the thought of eating ay type of cake with mayonnaise in it. So I gave everyone a slice of the mayonnaise cake and we filmed their reactions once they knew the cake they were eating actually contained mayonnaise. If you want to try the cake for yourself, the recipe is below for you. You can also either use store bought icing or make your own. I used a homemade dark chocolate buttercream icing that's super easy to make!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- 2 ¼ teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons of baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups of mayonnaise
- 1 ½ cups of water
DIRECTIONS FOR CAKE
- Grease two cake pans (9 x 1 ½ ) and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl mixed together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda).
- Add in the mayonnaise and stir to combine
- Slowly stir in the water.
- Finally add in the vanilla extract and stir until smooth.
- Pour mixtures equally into both pans
- Bake for 30 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick and have it come out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to to cool.
- Finish with your favorite chocolate icing or use the buttercream icing recipe below