Home-Made Mother’s Day Card Ideas for Kids Who Wait Last Minute
Yikes! It's last minute and you forgot about Mother's Day... good news. I'm here to help. Moms love homemade stuff, especially cards. Mix one of these options below with something made from scratch in the kitchen or a little scratch-on-the-back and moms day will certainly be made.
Whether you're a kid or an adult, these are all great options for a homemade Mother's Day card.
1. Calligraphy Card - If you have a knack for it, a simple card with nice calligraphy is a serious option.
2. Pop-Up Flower Cards - These are easier to create than you may think. Start by cutting out flower shapes (use construction paper if possible). Cut out green strips of paper (or color them green) and fold into an accordion shape. Glue just the bottom to the card and the flowers, glue to the other side of the green accordion. Pop goes the flowers!
3. Watercolor Card - Get out those old paints, or borrow your kids! Watercolor paints are so fun to play around with and easy to create beautiful designs, even if your art skills are lacking.
4. Handprint Cards - Trace you or your child's hand onto a piece of paper, cut it out, and then fold it in half. Voilà! There's your card. Decorate it with colors, stickers, or glitter.
5. Button Card - Use old buttons or pins to make a cute and colorful card! Obviously only if you have them lying around, which many people do. Check that "sewing kit" in the back closet. Glue the buttons onto the front of the card in the shape of a heart or another simple design, and then write a sweet message on the inside.
6. Photo Cards - A classic, simple way that won't just make mom smile... it could bring her to tears. Create a card made out of old photos, or newer photos you've printed out but haven't framed up. No physical photos? Create a photo collage on a computer and then print it out to make a folded card.
7. Pop-Up Heart Cards - Similar to the pop-up flower card. Cut out a heart shape from a piece of paper, fold it in half, and then cut small slits into the folded edge. Fold the heart in half again and then glue it onto a folded card. You can also do this with a butterfly shape. When the card is opened, the butterfly will pop up! Double Butterfly. Double Heart.
8. Crayon Resistant Card - Use a white crayon to write a message or draw a design onto white paper, and then paint over it with watercolors. The areas with the crayon will resist the watercolor, creating a cool effect.
9. Fingerprint Heart Cards - Use your thumb or finger to create heart shapes on a piece of paper using paint or ink. Once the hearts dry, draw on stems and leaves with a pen, and then write your message on the inside of the card.
10. DIY Giant Mother's Day Card - This is hilarious if you have the right tools lying around. Any old posterboard, or cardboard boxes would even work... anything that's BIG. Make a cute and funny HUGE card for mom. She will be thankful and it will also make her laugh.
Happy Mother's Day to all you mamas out there. XO