Eddie Vedder – The Sole Survivor?
A recent article at washingtonpost.com broke the genres beginnings down and made a great case for keeping the Pearl Jam singer locked away in a cushioned room with full time security and an onsite doctor.
He's grunges' last "front" man standing.
Grunge's beginnings were pretty humble, starting in the late 80's with bands like Mudhoney and Mother Love Bone, (among others), while grunge monsters like Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and Nirvana would rise in the early 90's. Today, if you look at the frontmen of those seminal bands, the ones that were huge successes anyway, Eddie Vedder is really the only one left.
- Andrew Wood/Mother Love Bone - Overdose
- Stefanie Sargent/7 Year Bitch - Drug Related
- Kurt Cobain/Nirvana - Suicide
- Layne Staley/Alice In Chains - Drug Related
- Scott Weiland/Stone Temple Pilots - Overdose
- Chris Cornell/Soundgarden - Suicide. However, side effects of a medication he was taking may ultimately be to blame for his death.
There have been, sadly, far too many others. These are just the primary members of the primary bands. Rest In Peace guys and thank you for the music.
God, please keep an eye on Eddie...