Buzz Trailer Breakdown: The Mandalorian
Disney’s D23 fan convention was held over the weekend and that means we have lots and lots of trailers to break-down in detail for you. The first one I’ll get to is The Mandalorian which will be available on November 12 on the Disney Plus streaming service. Honestly, if Disney Plus consisted ONLY of The Mandalorian I would probably hand over my $12.99 a month without complaining at all. It’s been reported that this show is already the most expensive television program ever and, judging by this trailer, it shows! The effects look like what you’d see in a theatrical release.
So, the trailer is posted right after this paragraph. Below the trailer is where I’ll put my detailed break-down. If you want to read the break-down first so you know what to look for just scroll down a bit. If you want to watch the trailer first and THEN read my breakdown…you know what? Just do whatever feels right for you, ok?
Alright, here’s my breakdown.
- :05 The Mandalorian walks through a town or fortress where we see multiple Storm Trooper helmets impaled on spikes. Are those just helmets or are the Storm Troopers heads still inside? We don’t know for sure from the trailer. But this seems to establish that The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire but before the rise of the First Order.
- :19- A ship flies over the surface of a green and wooded planet. Then we see the Mandalorian walking through a run-down, barren town or settlement of some kind.
- :30 An exchange is taking place between the Mandalorian and another person. The next shot shows that the person is played by Carl Weathers (aka Apollo Creed from Rocky aka “Chubbs” from Happy Gilmore).
- :43 Former MMA star Gina Carano.
- :45 We see an alien of the Twi’lek species. The dancing girl who Jabba threw in the Rancor pit in Return of the Jedi is a Twi’lek as was Jabba’s major domo, Bibb Fortuna.
- :50 A squadron of Storm Troopers wearing black, instead of white, armor is lined up with weapons aimed. They almost look like they’re a firing squad.
- :51 A shot of the Mandalorian about to draw his blaster in an old-west style showdown. This is a good time to point out that this trailer looks an awful lot like an old western movie set in space.
- :53 Leading the Storm Troopers is…GUS FRING from Breaking Bad! I think this might be this show’s main heavy. You don’t get an actor like Giancarlo Esposito unless you USE him.
- :55 We finally get a good look at the Mandalorian. There’s been speculation that this might be Boba or Jango Fett. I think they’ve already said that it’s neither of those so it makes sense that his armor is different. Also, the actor playing the Mandalorian is the same guy who played Oberyn Martel in Game of Thrones.
- 1:08 There’s a good action sequence featuring a droid that a lot of people had claimed is IG-88 who was one of the bounty hunters in Empire Strikes Back. It’s not, though. I checked IMDB and THIS droid is called IG-11.
The rest of the trailer shows the Mandalorian in action, John Wicking multiple foes. We see multiple figures lined up and frozen in Carbonite, ala Han Solo. Then we see Werner Herzog…Werner FREAKING Herzog! If you’d told me in 1987 when I saw Aguirre: Wrath of God in a freshman film class that Werner Herzog would one day be in a Star Wars TV SHOW, I would have called you a filthy liar. Wow. November 12th.