I guess putting people on lockdown caused them to forget how to practice safe sex. With everything opening up and people getting the COVID-19 vaccine, it looks like the hospitals in El Paso are about to have lengthy lines for syphilis shots. According to the El Paso Department of Public Health, there's been a 30% increase in positive STD cases. The biggest spike in positive cases are from... wait for it... syphilis! Seriously, positive syphilis cases have almost quadrupled.

In a statement, the health department said:

STDs can have serious health consequences. People with these infections do not always experience disease symptoms, but, if left untreated, some can increase the risk of HIV infection, or can cause chronic pelvic pain, pelvic inflammatory disease, infertility, severe pregnancy, newborn complication and even infant death.

If you are in need of an STD screening, you can make an appointment by calling the health department at (915) 212-0200 and selecting option 5. You can also head over to EPHealth.org to book an appointment.

And just in case you need it, here are some FAQs they have over on the Public Health website.

How can I contact your department?
The main office for the City of El Paso Department of Public Health is located at 5115 El Paso Drive. You may also reach us by calling (915) 212-0200 or via e-mail by clicking on the contact link or Contact Us.

What are your hours of operation?
The main office is open from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday, CLOSED ON FRIDAY. (The hours of operation for our satellite offices and clinics may vary.)

What services do you offer?
The Department of Public Health promotes, ensures and improves the health and well being of our citizens through a variety of programs from immunizations to inspections of food establishments to pediatric dental services. Our complete listing of programs is available on the menu of options located on the top of the page.

Do you offer vector control services?
No. Vector control services are provided by the City of El Paso Environmental Services Department. To contact the Environmental Services Department call (915) 3-1-1.

Should I report suspected municipal code violations or other environmental concerns to this office?
No. Environmental issues, such as municipal code violations, should be reported to the Code Compliance Division of the City of El Paso Environmental Services Department. To report an environmental concern or code violation call (915) 3-1-1.

Where can I get a septic tank inspection?
The Department of Public Health does not offer this service. The service is performed by the El Paso County On-Site Sewage Department. To contact the El Paso County On-Site Sewage Department call (915) 546-2015.

KEEP READING: See 25 natural ways to boost your immune system

More From KLAQ El Paso