Las Cruces 5th Grader Saves Friend’s Life Thanks To TV Show
A Las Cruces boy saved his friends life by doing something he learned on television.
During lunch at Highland Elementary School, Max Miller, began to choke on a bite of his lunch. His best friend, Josiah Barrera, knew what to do though and performed the Heimlich maneuver to clear Miller's airway. He explained where he learned the maneuver to the Las Cruces Sun-News:
"I watched an episode of a show called 'Chicago Med,'" he said. "There were doctors, and they were in a bar. Someone started choking, and they did the Heimlich maneuver."
The two boys went right back to the business of being 5th graders without missing a beat. Max, the boy who had been choking, forgot to even mention it to his grandmother when she picked him up from school!
According to the Sun - News, choking victims have about 4 minutes before serious complications or death can occur. The Heimlich maneuver is a fairly simple procedure that anyone can learn to do, even on themselves. Learn it here.