15 Texas Bands That Made Video Game Soundtracks Even Better
Sometimes a great game isn't complete without a great soundtrack to go along with it. With literally HUNDREDS of games out there, there's bound to be a couple of games that have bands that you know & love.
Here are a couple of Texas bands you might've heard on video games.
Pantera: We'll start off with a band that has appeared in MANY video games (at least 13 to date):
- Walk has appeared in Rock Revolution, The Bigs 2, Madden NFL 10, NHL 11
- Cowboys From Hell - 4 Guitar Hero games (Guitar Hero, Guitar Hero Live & Guitar Hero Smash Hits) & Operation Flashpoint: Red River.
- Mouth For War - Shaun Palmer's Pro Skateboarder
- I'm Broken - Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock & BandFuse: Rock Legends
- & Cemetery Gates - Rocksmith 2014.
- In addition, 5 Minutes Alone (and some of the aforementioned songs) & the ENTIRE The Great Southern Trendkill album was included as DLC for the Rock Band series.
Let's not forget the fact that Pantera was a HUGE inspiration for the creation of the soundtrack for Doom.
The Reverend Horton Heat: When you think of Texas rockabilly, The Reverend Horton Heat is certainly one of the biggest names in the genre. However you might know them from a handful of games:
- I Can't Surf - Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
- Baddest of the Bad - Tony Hawk's Proving Ground
- Pride of San Jacinto - Hot Wheels Turbo Racing
- Steep - Chasing Rainbows
- Mad Mad Heart - Far Cry 5
- Psychobilly Freakout - Guitar Hero 2
- & the most popular one: Big Bed Rocket Of Love on MotorStorm, The Sims 3 & Need for Speed: The Run.
Butthole Surfers: Another Texas band that's known as a one hit wonder, Austin's Butthole Surfers have actually appeared on at least 3 different games
- Pepper appeared in Saints Row: The Third & World Tour Soccer 2003
- Who Was In My Room Last Night was in Guitar Hero 2 (expect a lot of GH/RB entries on this list)
- Iron Swan - Tony Hawk's Project 8,
- Tres Brujas - MX vs. ATV Alive,
- The Black River - Guitar Hero: Metallica,
- Maiden, Mother & Crone - Guitar Hero 5,
- & Freya appearing on Burnout Dominator, Guitar Hero 2 & Guitar Hero Smash Hits.
The Toadies: The one hit wonder band from Ft. Worth Texas, The Toadies are known for Possum Kingdom. So far they've only appeared in one video game: Guitar Hero 2 (and yes that song DID appear in the game). However they've also appeared as DLC for the Rock Band series: Away & Tyler were included with Possum Kingdom.
Submersed: A band that doesn't get talked about a lot, but anyone who's played the NASCAR video games, might be familiar with the Stephenville, TX band Submersed.
- Divide the Hate - Nascar 2005: Chase for the Cup
- Better Think Again - Nascar The Game: 2011
Flyleaf: The Benton, TX band that formed back in 2002 had a SLEW of hits & skyrocketed Lacey Sturm's career. You probably have seen Flyleaf appear on quite a few games in the Guitar Hero/Rock Band series:
- Again was their most popular video game song, appearing in Tap Tap Revenge 2, Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock, Power Gig: Rise of the Six String. Also later appeared in Rock Band as DLC.
- Tina was featured in Guitar Hero III: Legends As Rock as DLC
- New Horizons - Guitar Hero Live,
- Perfect - Guitar Praise,
- Cassie - The Sims 2: Teen Style Stuff,
- and of course you might remember I'm So Sick on the original Rock Band.
At The Drive-In: Yes this is one of two bands from El Paso that have appeared on video games. At The Drive-In have appeared in 4:
- One Armed Scissor appeared in Guitar Hero: World Tour & Rock Band 3,
- No Wolf Like The Present - Forza Horizon 4,
- & Cosmonaut - Tony Hawk: Shred
The Mars Volta: It makes sense that if At The Drive-In was featured in a video game, then the other huge name from El Paso, The Mars Volta, would as well.
They've been featured in only 3:
- L'Via L'Viaquez was in Guitar Hero: World Tour (This is the only game that features both El Paso bands but I think there should be more in the GH/RB series),
- The El-P remix of Goliath was used in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue,
- Zed & Two Naughts in MLB 12: The Show
Spoon: The alternative/indie rock band from Austin, Spoon might be in the running of having the most songs from any Texas band included in video game soundtracks (aside from Pantera):
- Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX 2 featured Take A Walk,
- Rocksmith - Me And the Bean,
- MLB 09: The Show - Don't You Evah (It would appear on another video game but we'll get there)
- MLB 15: The Show - Rent I Pay,
- MLB 17: The Show - Shotgun,
- MLB The Show 22 - Feels Alright,
- Need For Speed: Payback��- Pink Up,
- EFootball 2023 - Wild,
- Sister Jack would be included as DLC on Guitar Hero 5,
- 4 songs would be included as DLC for Rock Band: Don't You Evah, Got Nuffin, I Turn My Camera On, & Trouble Comes Running
The Black Angels: If you've heard The Black Angels, you might think they're from the 70s but no...the Austin psychedelic group was formed in 2004. So far they've only appeared on 2 games (1 having 2 songs)
- Black Grease on Grand Theft Auto V,
- The First Vietnamese War & Bad Vibrations on Specs Ops: The Line
MDC: One of the oldest bands on this list, Austin's punk rock band MDC was formed in 1979 & they have only been included on 1 game:
- John Wayne Was A Nazi was featured on GTA V when it was released for the PS4 & Xbox One. The song would be on the radio station Channel X & there's another Texas band featured on that same fictional station.
D.R.I. - Houston's thrash band D.R.I. (or Dirty Rotten Imbeciles) would also appear on GTA V's Channel X but that wouldn't be the only game D.R.I. appears on:
- I Don't Need Society on the re-release of GTA V
- Tear It Down - Backyard Wrestling 2: There Goes The Neighborhood,
- Couch Slouch - Tony Hawk's American Wasteland,
- Beneath The Wheel - Skate 2
White Denim: The final Austin band featured on this list, White Denim is a neat blend of jazz, rock, psychedelic with a few video game appearances in their career:
- Let's Talk About It - Colin McRae: Dirt 2
- Paint Yourself - Saints Row: The Third, Tap Tap Revenge 3
- I Start To Burn would also appear on Tap Tap Revenge 3,
- Burnished - Rocksmith
- At Night In Dreams - Gran Turismo 6, Rock Band 4 & Guitar Hero Live
ZZ Top: And finally we got ZZ Top & OF COURSE they have been featured in video games. But how many to be exact?
- Sharp Dressed Man - Guitar Hero. The Live In Texas version was used in Guitar Hero: Warriors Of Rock.
- Gimme All Your Lovin' - SingStar Amped, GH: World Tour (DLC) & GTA V (Re-Release)
- Just Got Paid - Skate
- Thug - Grand Theft Auto IV
- I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide - MLB 08: The Show
- I Gotsta Get Paid - MLB 13: The Show, Guitar Hero Live
- & La Grange - GH III: Legends Of Rock, Guitar Hero: On Tour & Nascar The Game: 2011. The Junkie XL remix would be used in Forza Motorsport.
Honorable Mention 1 - Nothing More: While the San Antonio rockers haven't appeared on a video game (yet), Nothing More DID get used the trailer for the Paladins video game. You can hear a couple of seconds of Go To War be used.
Honorable Mention 2 - Damageplan: The band Vinnie & Dimebag formed after Pantera, Damageplan was actually originally intended to be on the soundtrack for Midnight Club 3:DUB Edition. But for some reason the 2 songs got cut but we can blast them both here cause why not?
If you're curious about more video game related content, you can see a list of 10 video games set in Texas.
You can also see 10 MORE bands that made video game soundtracks better HERE.