10 Questions With 95.5 KLAQ’s Scott Ronson
Scott Ronson is probably best known as the voice of hellish intent on 95.5 KLAQ. However, while Scott spends the majority of his days nursing hangovers and spinning the majority of the music he wants to hear, in the genre of rock and metal, we thought it would be interesting to pry into Scott’s checkered personal life to find out what really makes this ultra-charismatic on-air personality tick, but not self destruct.
To do this, we cornered that snidely bastage in the KLAQ studios earlier last week and asked him 10 completely random questions about booze, food and strip clubs that, by the time the interview was over, made us feel as though we really had a grip on who Scott Ronson really is – not to mention a vicious case of crab lice.
Regardless, this is what we uncovered. Read at your own risk!
1. What are your top 3 favorite albums of all time? 1.) Lynyrd Skynyrd “Pronounced 'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd” released in 1973. I was 13-years-old and thought southern rock was sent from GOD just for me! 2.) Lynyrd Skynyrd “Street Survivor” released on October 17, 1977 - three days later their plane crashed. I knew that day GOD hated me and never wanted me to rock again. I still have two unopened copies of the original albums of them standing in the flames. 3.) Disturbed “The Sickness” released 1998. This is when my rock world stopped wondering the dark halls and I knew GOD believed in not only me but the music again.
2. If you didn’t work in radio, what would you be doing right now? If I didn’t work in radio I would be that homeless guy you see all the time talking to himself on the corner, with a sign that said “WHAT DA F*K U LOKIN' AT!!!!!!” The only skill, besides running my mouth, that I have is killing people and there ain’t to many job openings for that.
3. Your favorite bar wants to name a drink after you – what’s in it and what are you going to call it? That’s easy. It is three shots of Single Barrel Jack Daniels on the rocks and it would be called the “RELAMPAGO BLANCO," which means white lightning - but remember to roll the hell out of your R’s.
4. What is your favorite restaurant in El Paso and what on the menu would you recommend to your listeners? I don’t have a favorite restaurant but I do have a favorite food, which is Mac and Cheese. These are my five favorite places to eat the M&C!
5. Corner Bakery - 1144 Yarbrough Dr. (Could use more cheese but the portions are excellent.)
4. Geskes - 1506 N Lee Trevino Dr. (Tastes really deep and has an awesome cheesy flavor.)
3. Crave Kitchen and Bar - 300 Cincinnati Ave. (Follow their lunch truck! Creamy with just the right amount of cheese to noodles.)
2. Star City Kitchen and Bar - 2603 N Mesa. (The candied bacon and Jalapenos makes you run back for more!)
1. Tom’s Folk Café - 204 Boston Ave. (The crawfish Mac and cheese is to die for!!!)
5. Who do you think is the most underrated guitar player of all time? I know I am going to catch a lot of crap on this subject, but my answer would be PRINCE! Yeah, you bastards, Ronson said “PRINCE!” And it’s not just because I am from the GREATEST STATE TO WIN THE WAR - MINNESOTA!!! I don’t care what you think of my answer - when you have someone ask you “10 question with KLAQ’s (fill in your name here)” then you can give your answer.
6. If you had the power to ban one song, what would it be? Now this is a most difficult question. Can I say any LED ZEPPELIN or U2 song? I play them both because I am “asked” to. Do you see the air quotes?
7. If you could have lunch with any famous person, living or dead, who would it be and why? That’s easy - it would be with Scott Ronson (I think he is still alive), because he is the most intelligent, insightful and warm person that I know. If you have never had the chance to sit down with Scott Ronson over dinner and a few drinks, your life has no meaning and you should become a monk or a hooker!
8. Which best describes you – Look at Playboy magazine or hang out at the local strip clubs? I have sworn off strip joints since the incident of 2007 (check the EPPD records for more information, but I know you read about it in the El Paso Times). Playboy is for 10 year olds, but a sock, banana oil and a great Hustler magazine never slowed me down! Ahhh, what the hell was the question again?
9. What was the first concert you ever attended? The very first concert I attended was Robin Trower when I was 9-years-old. I spent two days in a rehab center (no joke here my friends) to recover from the effects of that concert!
10. If Hollywood decided to make a movie of your life – what would the movie be called and what actor would play you? It would be called “HEY GUEY” (pronounced way) and Jeff Bridges would play me. He is a great looking guy and loves to party like me.