Ways To Protect Your Home From Porch Pirates This Holiday Season
The holidays are coming up and that means the porch pirates will be out in full force trying to steal your holiday cheer. As more people are now working from home, people are better able to hear when their packages are being delivered to their door and bring them inside their homes. Unfortunately, you can't be home waiting for your packages 24/7 so there are still porch pirates out there waiting for your packages to be dropped off and to steal whatever goodies you have inside. As we head into the holiday season, protect your home and your packages from thieves with these tips and tricks. Some are pretty self-explanatory, while others may be new ideas you haven't thought of! Hopefully using some of these tips you can protect yourself and your home from thieves trying to steal your packages over the holidays.
- Conceal the contents- some retailers will put their products in flashy packaging so you know that you're special package has arrived. While this looks nice to you, it also looks really nice to porch pirates. Amazon even has an option to conceal packages.
- Get notifications- Many companies offer text and email notifications so you know what day your package will be delivered when it's out for delivery or has been delivered. If you're able to track the package, you may be able to run home and get the package as soon as it reaches your door.
- Ship packages to your work- Assuming your coworkers aren't front desk pirates, shipping your packages to the office could be safer since your work receptionist or front desk can receive and store the package for you if you're unavailable.
- Ship packages to the store- Sure, it's not as convenient as getting a package to your front door but store delivery allows them to keep your package safe until you're able to go and retrieve your package.
- Ship packages to an alternate location- Delivery companies like UPS, Fed Ex, Amazon and others allow your packages to be shipped to different locations like Walgreens, CVS, Michaels, etc. Contact the delivery company to see what your options are.
- Schedule a delivery time- Many delivery companies offer delivery dates and times for you to choose from so you can find the time that works best for you and your schedule.
CHECK IT OUT: 10 Items Might Be in Short Supply This Winter