TXDot HERO Program Offers Assistance For Free in 3 Texas Cities
There's no worse feeling than driving along the road & you have to pull over on the side to change a flat tire. And even worse, when you're in the middle of nowhere with no water. If you've driven through Texas that can be a big problem, as it can take a whole day just to drive through. Thankfully, there is a program run by the Texas Department of Transportation, aka TXDot, that can help you for free called the HERO program. However, this program is only available in Austin, San Antonio & El Paso, Texas.
What is the TXDot HERO program?
The Highway Emergency Roadside Operator program (or HERO for short) was designed to help provide additional assistance to motorists when traveling on the main highways in the state of Texas. The services provided by HERO include (all of this was taken directly from their website):
- Relocating disabled vehicles to safety
- Removing minor crashes from the roadway
- Providing traffic and lane control at crash scenes
- Removing debris from travel lanes
- Changing flat tires
- Giving air to low tires
- Adding gasoline and water
- Performing minor vehicle repairs
- Jump-starting batteries
- Assisting first responders at crash scenes
- Providing drinking water and cell phone services to stranded motorists
How do you contact the TXDot HERO program?
As I mentioned before, it's only available in three cities. Each with different hours during each day:
- US 183, SH 71, US 290 & Loop: Mon-Fri - 5am to 9pm.
- I-35 from SH 195 to the Comal County line: Mon-Fri - 5 am to 9 pm & Saturday and Sunday - 7am to 7pm
- I-35 between SH 45 North and SH 45 Southeast: Monday through Friday - 24 hours
- Their phone number is 512-974-HERO
- I-10 from Transmountain Rd. (MM6) to Horizon Blvd. (MM38);
- Loop 375 from I-10 West (RM11) to Paisano (RM59)
- and US 54 from McCombs (RM34) to Loop 375 (RM20)
- The hours are Mon-Fri: 5am-9pm, Saturday & Sunday 9am-9pm
- Their phone number is 915-790-HERO (4376)
- Full Service: Monday through Friday, 5 am to 9 pm
- Limited Service: Monday through Friday, 9 pm to 5 am; Saturday and Sunday, 24 hours a day
- Their phone number is 210-732-HERO
You can find more about TXDot on their official website here.