A monument to some heroic El Pasoans is coming to downtown. 

The original Men of Company E monument is located in the World War II Veterans of Company E Park at 4321 Delta. Now, a companion monument has been approved by city council to be placed downtown near the Mexican American Cultural Center where more people will see it and learn about these brave men. According to the El Paso Herald-Post, they were:

a group of young Mexican-American soldiers from the City of El Paso who were sent to southern Italy on a tragic mission to cross the Rapido River on the night of January 21, 1944.

Many of the Men of Company  E, 141st Infantry, 36th Division, whom many now refer to as the Fallen Sons of El Paso, were killed in the attempt to cross a waterway saturated with barbed wire, mines, and artillery. - EPHP

To learn more about the Men Of Company E and their horrific battle, click here.