Words That Need To Stop Being Misused
The 2018 LSSU list of words they feel should be "banished" is out, see which ones made the list here.
Lake Superior State University created this list of overused, incorrectly used or just freakin' stupid words decades ago. Here's the 2018 top 5:
- Unpack – Misused word for analyze, consider, assess. Concepts or positions are not packed, so they don’t need to be unpacked.
- Tons – Refers to an exaggerated quantity, as in tons of sunshine or tons of work. ‘Lots’ would surely suffice.
- Dish – As in to dish out the latest rumor on someone. Let’s go back to ‘talks about’ and leave dishes in the cupboard.
- Pre-owned – What is so disgraceful about owning a used car now and then?
- Onboarding / Offboarding – Creature from the HR Lagoon. We used to have hiring, training and orientation. Now we need to have an “onboarding” process. Firings, quitting, and retirements are streamlined into “offboarding.”
To read the rest of the list, click here.