Will The El Paso Chihuahuas Stadium Be The Greenest Building In El Paso
When I say “greenest” I am not talking about all the cash it took to build this controversial stadium. That’s a whole ‘nother blog.I’m referring to the fact that construction of Southwest University Park is being done with an eye toward the environment! According to ElPasoTexas.gov:
When thousands of El Pasoans enter Southwest University Park to watch the El Paso Chihuahuas take on opponents, they’ll be doing so in one of the most sustainable, environmentally-friendly buildings in El Paso.
Southwest University Park is currently seeking a LEEDS certification. The LEEDS application is based on many things, including:
- • Reliance on existing parking infrastructure;
- • Addition of bicycle parking facilities adjacent to the ballpark.
- Proximity to Sun Metro’s new Brio Rapid Transit System.
- • Reducing the amount of stormwater which will run off the site.
- • Recycling the vast majority of construction and demolition waste produced by the project.
- • Use of recycled and regionally-sourced construction materials.
Love it, hate it or be “Ehhhh” about it; it’s here and the season is about to start with EP taking on Reno. At least when they start their home stand, we can sip a beer at the games with environmentally clear consciences!
Catch play by play coverage of Thursdays game on ESPN 600, KROD!