Thanksgiving Facts For You to Share Today
Looking for a topic to discuss today other than politics? Here are some Thanksgiving facts courtesy of CNN.
- TV dinners were created because of Thanksgiving. -- Back in 1953, Swanson misjudged the amount of turkeys it would sell that year, by 260 TONS! So they took the excess turkeys, sliced them up, added some trimmings, and packaged them as TV dinners.
- Black Friday is the busiest day for the plumbing industry. -- According to Roto-Rooter, Black Friday is their busiest day. Which, I mean, c'mon, really isn't all that surprising when you really think about it.
- There are 4 places in the US named Turkey -- They are located in Texas, Louisiana, North Carolina, and Arizona. There are also a couple of townships in Pennsylvania. One is Upper Turkeyfoot, and the other is Lower Turkeyfoot.
- Only male turkeys "gobble" -- Male turkeys, called 'toms', gobble. While female turkeys, called hens, cackle.
- Ben Franklin wanted the turkey to be the national bird -- Franklin once wrote his daughter that the eagle had "bad moral character" and the turkey was a "much more respectable bird."
- Canada celebrates Thanksgiving -- They just celebrate it on the second Monday in October.