Texas Governor Proposes New School Security Plan
Texas Governor Greg Abbott has a plan to improve security in Texas schools and some of the steps are sure to cause some controversy.
- Gun Laws. Limiting who can buy guns, (possibly) seizing the guns of those deemed a "danger", updating the "can't buy lists" more accurately plus, strengthening penalties for those whose guns are used by another.
- Armed Campus Security. The plan calls for more school marshalls and a "streamlining" of the program to become one.
- Hiring School Security. Hiring more retired law enforcement peeps and military veterans is recommended.
- Arming Staff. This part seeks to fund the training of school personnel who want to become school marshals.
- Kicking Kids Out Of Class. Easing the process anyway...
- Monitoring Student Behavior. Personal behavior as well as that on social media and elsewhere.
I'm sure every aspect of the plan will cause some degree of debate but, I think these items will light the biggest fires. You can read the entire plan here.