Texas Begins Motorcycle Awareness Month
Riding season in and around El Paso is pretty much year 'round. During Spring though, the number of riders REALLY goes up so, please watch for them!
El Paso's mild weather allows for pretty much year 'round riding. Even the crazy, sandblasting winds of Spring and the wet roads of our rainy season can be dealt with. The biggest threat to bikers around here comes from cars and trucks.
Speed and alcohol do cause some wrecks but, the vast majority of accidents are due to driver inattention. Motorcycles are smaller and harder to see so, please pay attention and look twice ... a third time even ... for bikes!!
- Look twice for motorcycles, especially at intersections.
- Always assume motorcycles are closer than they appear to be, and avoid turning in front of an oncoming motorcycle.
- Use your turn signals and check your blind spot before changing lanes.
- Don’t follow a motorcycle too closely.
- Give motorcyclists a full lane.
- Obey posted speed limits.
Also, please be very careful when turning in front of motorcycles. 1/4 of ALL motorcycle accidents involve motorists turning left in front of an oncoming bike!