Christmas and Holiday Activities on Fort Bliss 2012
Looking for family-friendly events on base for Christmas? We’ve got a list of 2012 holidays events for Fort Bliss.
Fort Bliss Christmas Tree Lighting
- Thursday, December 6, the 1st Armored Division Band will be kicking off the tree lighting ceremonies with a free holiday concert.
- The festival will take place at Center Chapel 1, Pershing Road.
- There will be a visit from Santa, and warm drinks and cookies after the ceremony.
- For more information call 568-1519.
Holiday Festival 2012: Wacky Winter pARTy
- 5-9 p.m., Friday, December 7 at the Trading Post, Bldg 1717 Marshall Road on Fort Bliss.
- Free holiday picture drawing, free hot cocoa and cider, and free photos with Santa. Also, free movies on the big screen and free photo booth.
- Art displays by local artists and free outdoor train rides.
- Fort Bliss family readiness groups will present arts and crafts to help raise money for their unit funds.
- For more information call (915) 588-8247.
8k Holiday Run
- Run begins at 8 a.m., Saturday, December 8 at the Soto Gym Bldg. 20751 Constitution Ave, on East Fort Bliss.
- Open to all of the El Paso community. Families are encouraged to join in the fun with strollers, scooters, bikes, dogs…whatever.
- Early registration is free for active-duty military, and $20 for all others. Registration is under way at Soto and Stout gyms and online at www.active.com. Registration closes December 5. The first 100 registrants will receive a free T-shirt.
- Late registration costs an additional $10 for all runners, and will be held on-site from 6:30-7:30 a.m. Saturday, December 8.
- For more information call (915) 744-5790
Polar Bear Plunge
- 1-3 p.m. Saturday, December 8 at the Community Pool, Bldg. 251 Club Rd. on Fort Bliss
- Free T-shirts for all who take the plunge. Photos with Santa.
- For more information call (915) 568-7431
- Organized by Team Bliss Sorts, Fitness and Aquatics.
Breakfast with Santa
- 8 a.m.-noon, Sunday, December 9 at the Fort Bliss Rod and Gun Club, located at Bldg. 3730 Roy Johnson Lane in northeast El Paso.
- All-you-can-eat breakfast buffet with Santa. Breakfast costs $11 for adults and $5.50 for children 12 and under, Seniors pay $5.50 as well.
- For more information call (915) 565-4867.
Sun City Holiday Fiesta
- The 1st Armored Division Band presents “Sun City Holiday Fiesta,” concert Dec. 9, at 2:00 p.m., Magoffin Auditorium, University of Texas at El Paso campus.
- The Mighty Rockets from Irvin High School music department, will be performing with the 1st AD band.
- There will be a visit from Santa Claus and special guest vocalist Mrs. Karen Twitty.
- The concert is free and open to the public.
- Doors open at 1:00 p.m. for ticket holders and 1:30 p.m. for non-ticket holders.
- Tickets are now available at the Fort Bliss Public Affairs Offices at Bldg. 15, Slater Road, West Fort Bliss and 1AD Headquarters at East Bliss, as well as at the ITR ticket office at Freedom Crossing.
- For more information call 568-2263 or 568-4601/4505 or 744-8432.
Wreathes Across America
- El Paso Composite Squadron – Civil Air Patrol is coordinating placement of wreaths on graves at the Fort Bliss National Cemetery, in honor of those who have served, Dec. 15.
- To purchase a wreath call 239-6149 or visit www.epwreaths.org.
Gingerbread house contest
- Want to show off your gingerbread house making skills? Then enter the gingerbread house contest at Old Fort Bliss.
- Entries are being excepted now through 4 p.m. Saturday, December 15 at the Old Fort Bliss Replica, Bldg. 5054 on the corner of Pershing and Pleasonton on Fort Bliss.
- Contest open to all ages and skill levels.
- For more information call (915) 568-4518 or (915) 588-8482 or visit www.blissmwr.com/oldfortbliss
Christmas Brunch at the Centennial
- 10 a.m.-1p.m. Sunday, December 16.
- Brunch buffet costs $15.95 per person for adults, and brunch includes complimentary wine, champagne or mimosas. Pay half price for children ages 6-10, and children 5 and under eat free.
- Advanced reservations are required. For reservations and additional information call (915) 744-1171
- The Centennial is located at Bldg. 11199 Sgt. E. Churchill St., on East Fort Bliss
Be a Santa to a Senior
- Volunteers are needed to spread holiday cheer at the Be a Santa to a senior gift wrapping event organized by the Army Volunteer Corps.
- Event takes place 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Wednesday, December 19, at ACS Bldg. 2494 Ricker Rd. on Fort Bliss.
- For more information call (915) 569-4227 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sun Bowl Brunch
- 9 a.m. Monday, December 31 at the Centennial.
- Hot and cold breakfast buffet items and drinks. $14.95 for adults, $7.95 for children ages 7-11, free for children 6 and under.
- Free transportation to the Sun Bowl for all guests.
- Advance reservations are required. For reservations or information call (915) 744-1171 Centennial Bldg. 11199 Sgt. E. Churchill St. on East Fort Bliss.