Top 5 Best Rock and Roll Cover Songs Ever!
I played the Five Finger Death Punch version of Bad Company earlier and it got me thinking about cover songs.
Normally, I’m not a big fan of them. It’s kind of cool when a band busts one out during a live show or for kicks on a charity CD or something. It’s only cool to record one if you put a really cool spin on it that makes you totally appreciate it as well as develop a new appreciation for the original.
That’s kind of rare though. (If a cover is just going to be a note for note rehash of the original hell, I can do that.)
There are some really good ones though so … just for giggles … I came up with the official Dubba G top 5 cover songs. I agonized over this for EVER, (ok, it was more like 5 minutes while my commercial break played), so I hope you like it!
5) Overkill: Tyrant (Judas Priest) They took a kick ass song that was already a 10 and took it to 20 with extra speed and aggresion!
4) Marilyn Manson: Sweet Dreams (The Eurythmics) Sweet, soulful, touching. That’s how I would described Annie and Davids original. Dark, sick and twisted pretty well sums up Marilyns. Great for date night!
3) Judas Priest: Diamonds And Rust (Joan Baez) I don’t even know where to start here. Joan wrote a pretty, delicate torch song. Priest turned it into a monster! They literally strapped it to a table, tore it apart, reanimated it and added the brain of an insane musician. (Seriously, compare the 2 .. you’ll see. Listen to the live version from Priests Unleashed In The East for maximum effect!)
2) 5 Finger Death Punch: Bad Company (Bad Company) A moody western set to music. Now a moody, edgy, powerful and intense western set to music! The power in Ivans moody (see what I did right there? Haaa!) voice and the subtle lyric changes really bring the point home! (Not to mention the extra thunder in the drums.)
1) Metallica: Whiskey In The Jar. (Thin Lizzy/Public Domain) Big props for creatively rearranging an Irish standard but also for choosing such a relatively obscure tune. Not many people have ever heard any other version of it. Not to mention the fact that they made it RAWK! (Bonus points for all the hotties in the video below, enjoy!)
Best 5 covers ever? Or the first 5 I happened to think of? Either way they’re all pretty damn cool. Check ‘em out when you can; meanwhile here’s a couple to get you started!
And, numero uno!